Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Maiduguri, Nigeria
Bala Audu, MD, Obstetrician/Gynecologist
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Oncology/Infertility), Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri, Nigeria
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Nigeria
I was raised in a humble, but highly contented background, thanks to which I was able to develop an interest in human development and pursue my academical interests. I grew up in an environment that made me appreciate the value of diversity and yet understand how ordinary we all are in our needs. Thus my interest lays in women's health and teaching at the university. I have worked in general obstetrics and gynaecology in accordance to our local needs, with particular interest in infertility, gynaecological oncology and pre-eclampsia, because these pose certain problems and difficulties in my community. I wish to experience different countries and cultures and I wish to learn and share knowledge and experiences. Therefore this course is a precious opportunity for me.
Publications in journals indexed in PubMed
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Adesina OA, Marupa JY. Oral health practices among pregnant women in North Eastern Nigeria. Niger J Clin Pract. 2012 Sep;15(3):302–5.
- Bako B, Audu BM, Lawan ZM, Umar JB. Risk factors and microbial isolates of puerperal sepsis at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri, North-eastern Nigeria. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012 Apr;285(4):913–7.
- Kullima AA, Audu BM, Geidam AD. Outcome of twin deliveries at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital: a 5-year review. Niger J Clin Pract. 2011 Sep;14(3):345–8.
- Geidam AD, Audu BM, Oummate Z. Pregnancy outcome among grand multiparous women at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital: a case control study. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011 Jul;31(5):404–8.
- Geidam DA, Geidan DA, Audu BM, Bukar MB, Bukar. Morbidity of total abdominal hysterectomy at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri, Nigeria. Niger J Med. 2010 Dec;19(4):467–70.
- Kullima AA, Kawuwa MB, Audu BM, Mairiga AG, Bukar M. Sexual assault against female Nigerian students. Afr J Reprod Health. 2010 Sep;14(3):189–93.
- Kullima AA, Kawuwa MB, Audu BM, Geidam AD, Mairiga AG. Trends in maternal mortality in a tertiary institution in Northern Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2009 Dec;8(4):221–4.
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Takai UI, Ajayi BB, Kullima AA. Is routine antenatal screening for syphilis in Nigeria still justified clinically and economically? Saudi Med J. 2009 Oct;30(10):1311–5.
- Bako B, Chama C, Audu BM. Emergency obstetrics care in a Nigerian tertiary hospital: a 20 year review of umblical cord prolapse. Niger J Clin Pract. 2009 Sep;12(3):232–6.
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Yahaya UR, Dawha YM. Outcome of tubal macrosurgery in Gombe, North-eastern Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Aug;29(6):536–8.
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Bako BG, Garandawa HI, Kagu MB. Idiopathic thrombocytopaenic purpura in pregnancy presenting with life-threatening epistaxis. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Jul;29(5):439–40.
- Kullima AA, Kawuwa MB, Audu BM, Usman H, Geidam AD. A 5-year review of maternal mortality associated with eclampsia in a tertiary institution in northern Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2009 Jun;8(2):81–4.
- Geidam AD, Audu BM, Kawuwa BM, Obed JY. Rising trend and indications of caesarean section at the university of Maiduguri teaching hospital, Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2009 Jun;8(2):127–32.
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Massa AA. Caesarean delivery at the Federal Medical Centre Gombe: a 3-year experience. Niger J Med. 2009 Jun;18(2):179–83.
- Bako BG, Audu BM, Geidam AD, Kullima AA, Ashiru GM, Malah MB, Ngadda HA, Musa AB. Prevalence, risk factors and effects of placental malaria in the UMTH, Maiduguri, North-eastern, Nigeria: a cross-sectional study. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 May;29(4):307–10.
- Audu BM, Takai IU, Chama CM, Bukar M, Kyari O. Hydatidiform mole as seen in a university teaching hospital: a 10-year review. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 May;29(4):322–5.
- Audu BM, Massa AA, Bukar M, El-Nafaty AU, Sa’ad ST. Prevalence of utero-tubal infertility. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 May;29(4):326–8.
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Melah GS. Myomectomy at the Federal Medical Centre Gombe. Niger J Med. 2009 Mar;18(1):94–7.
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Mustapha Z, Nggada HA, Takai UI. Uterine leiomyosarcoma arising from a fibroid. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Feb;29(2):169–70.
- Audu B, Geidam A, Jarma H. Child labor and sexual assault among girls in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009 Jan;104(1):64–7.
- Bukar M, Kwaghe G, Bakari A, Audu B, Ojo E, Ngilari U. Gender Re-assignment at 17 Medical, Ethical, Religious and Cultural Dilemma! Libyan J Med. 2009;4(4):131–2.
- Mayun AA, Nggada HA, Audu BM, Pindiga UH, Khalil MIA, Musa AB. Histopathological analysis of non-squamous cell malignancies of the uterine cervix in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Afr J Med Med Sci. 2008 Dec;37(4):369–73.
- Bukar M, Audu BM, Yahaya UR, Melah GS. Anaemia in pregnancy at booking in Gombe, North-eastern Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008 Nov;28(8):775–8.
- Audu BM, El-Nafaty AU, Bako BG, Melah GS, Mairiga AG, Kullima AA. Attitude of Nigerian women to contraceptive use by men. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008 Aug;28(6):621–5.
- Audu BM, Kullima AA, Bako B. Epidemiology of vesico-vaginal fistula: no longer a calamity of teenagers. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008 May;28(4):432–3.
- Audu B, Yahya S, Geidam A, Abdussalam H, Takai I, Kyari O. Polygamy and the use of contraceptives. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008 Apr;101(1):88–92.
- Mairiga AG, Kyari O, Audu B, Lawuwa BM. Socio-clinical characteristics of modern contraceptives users at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital. Niger J Clin Pract. 2007 Jun;10(2):152–5.
- Audu BM, Yahya SJ, Bassi A. Knowledge, attitude and practice of natural family planning methods in a population with poor utilisation of modern contraceptives. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Aug;26(6):555–60.
- Audu BM, Mustapha SK. Prevalence of gestrointestinal symptoms in pregnancy. Niger J Clin Pract. 2006 Jun;9(1):1–6.
- Chama CM, Audu BM, Kyari O. Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV at Maiduguri, Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Apr;24(3):266–9.
- El-Nafaty AU, Melah GS, Massa AA, Audu BM, Nelda M. The analysis of eclamptic morbidity and mortality in the Specialist Hospital Gombe, Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Feb;24(2):142–7.
- Audu BM, Kudi AA. Microbial isolates and antibiogram from endocervical swabs of patients with pelvic inflammatory disease. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Feb;24(2):161–4.
- Audu BM, Chama CM, Kyari OA. Complications of cervical cerclage in women with cervical incompetence. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2003 Dec;83(3):299–300.
- Melah GS, El-Nafaty AU, Massa AA, Audu BM. Obstructed labour: a public health problem in Gombe, Gombe State, Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2003 Jul;23(4):369–73.
- Audu BM, Chama CM, Kyari O. Diagnostic features of cervical incompetence among women in Maiduguri. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2003 Mar;23(2):130–3.
- Audu BM. Sexual dysfunction among infertile Nigerian women. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2002 Nov;22(6):655–7.
- Audu BM, El-Nafaty AU, Khalil M, Otubu JA. The influence of reproductive and marital factors on cervical dyskaryosis. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2001 Nov;21(6):622–5.
- Wambebe C, Khamofu H, Momoh JA, Ekpeyong M, Audu BS, Njoku OS, Bamgboye EA, Nasipuri RN, Kunle OO, Okogun JI, Enwerem MN, Audam JG, Gamaniel KS, Obodozie OO, Samuel B, Fojule G, Ogunyale O. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised cross-over clinical trial of NIPRISAN in patients with Sickle Cell Disorder. Phytomedicine. 2001 Jul;8(4):252–61.
- Audu BM, El-Nafaty AU, Khalil M, Otubu JA. Sexual attitudes and their relation to cervical intraepithelial neoplasia in Maiduguri, Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999 Jul;19(4):412–6.
- Audu BM, El-Nafaty AU, Khalil M, Otubu JA. Knowledge and attitude to cervical cancer screening among women in Maiduguri, Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999 May;19(3):295–7.
- Bobzom DN, Audu BM. Outcome of twin pregnancies in Maiduguri, Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 1997 May;17(3):261–3.
- Mai AM, Audu BM. Northern Nigeria. Fertility. Trop Doct. 1996 Apr;26(2):82–3.