James Sylvester Squire
Kailahun District Health Management Team, Sierra Leone
James Sylvester Squire, MD, International Public Health Specialist
District Medical Officer, Kailahun District Health Management Team, Sierra Leone
I am a medical doctor with special interest in Public Health focusing on Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health (RMNCH). My aim is to use my skills and knowledge to promote and secure global health through an effective and healthy collaboration with individuals, institutions and organizations with a shared vision
As Public Health Specialist with Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation, my responsibilities as District Medical Officer include;
- Monitoring the health status of people in my district through review of scheduled reports, disease surveillance and the organization of special programs.
- Investigation of all suspected health conditions or outbreaks in the district, diagnosing and managing appropriately.
- Community education and empowerment.
- Collaboration with other agencies (both government and private), chiefs and opinion leaders and the community at large to provide health services and promote health.
- Actively participate in policy development and ensure the implementation of MOHS policies.
- Ensure the availability of quality health care in the district.
- Ensuring that there is a competent and well motivated health team.
- Constantly evaluate the health system to ensure that we keep to changing trends and policies and also meeting the demands of the people we serve.
- Carrying out research to ultimately improve on health care delivery and Public Health in general.
In specific areas I manage on daily basis include Disease Surveillance, EPI, Sexual, Reproductive and Child Health. Other areas include management of diseases of public health importance such as Malaria, HIV and Tuberculosis. As a matter of duty, I am for ensuring an effective and efficient Primary Health Care to the people through the Basic Package of Essential Health Services (BPEHS) initiative.
- Lokuge K, Caleo G, Greig J, Duncombe J, McWilliam N, Squire J, Lamin M, Veltus E, Wolz A, Kobinger G, de la Vega M-A, Gbabai O, Nabieu S, Lamin M, Kremer R, Danis K, Banks E, Glass K. Successful Control of Ebola Virus Disease: Analysis of Service Based Data from Rural Sierra Leone. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016 Mar;10(3):e0004498. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0004498
- Dallatomasina S, Crestani R, Squire JS, Declerk H, Caleo GM, Wolz A, Stinson K, Patten G, Brechard R, Gbabai OB-M, Spreicher A, Van Herp M, Zachariah R. Ebola outbreak in rural West Africa: epidemiology, clinical features and outcomes. Trop Med Int Health. 2015 Apr;20(4):448-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/tmi.12454
- Wauquier N, Bangura J, Moses L, Humarr Khan S, Coomber M, Lungay V, Gbakie M, Sesay MSK, Gassama IAK, Massally JLB, Gbakima A, Squire J, Lamin M, Kanneh L, Yillah M, Kargbo K, Roberts W, Vandi M, Kargbo D, Vincent T, Jambai A, Guttieri M, Fair J, Souris M, Gonzalez JP. Understanding the emergence of Ebola Virus Disease in Sierra Leone: stalking the virus in the threatening wake of emergence. PLoS Curr. 2015;7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/currents.outbreaks.9a6530ab7bb9096b34143230ab01cdef